The Ionosphere by Snugpak is an extremely small and compact 1 person tent. The Ionosphere has a very low profile and is great for those looking for a 1 person tent to keep out of the elements. Just like The Bunker, the Scorpion 3 and Scorpion 2 the Ionosphere also too has a 5000mm PU Coated Fly. The Ionosphere has a single entry point, No-See-Um-Mesh and all seams are seam taped. A very impressive small compact tent by anyone's standard.
- A Spacious One Person Modular Tent
- Very low profile
- All seams are taped sealed
- 50D Polyester No-See-Um-Mesh Mosquito Net
- Includes: 16 Alloy Y Stakes and Repair Kit
- Ultra-Compact 1 Person Tent
- Flysheet: Lightweight 210t Polyester RipStop PU with a 5000mm Waterproof PU Coating
- Inner Tent: Constructed of 190t Nylon with a 50D Polyester No-See-Um-Mesh
- DAC Featherlite NSL anodized poles with pressfit connectors - All DAC Poles are made from TH72M aluminum
- 1 Door
- All seams are taped sealed
- Alloy Y Stakes (14 + 2 Spare Stakes)
- Dimensions: 104"½ x 35"½ x 28"½ / 265 x 90 x 70cm
- Trail Weight 2.65lb / 1.2kg (Fly, Poles & Inner Tent)
- Pack Weight 3.35lb / 1.52kg (Fly, Poles, Inner Tent, Stakes, Guy Ropes & Stuff Sack)
- Available in Olive and Coyote
- Comes with a Basic Repair Kit - repairs can be made on the move (Due to international shipping regulations, we are unable to include the glue in the repair kit. To complete the kit, you will need to buy a small tube of Vinyl Repair Glue.)
A Spacious One Person Modular Tent by Snugpak
Put it to the test almost immediately. Set it up a couple days after I got it and it shrugged off 3-4" of rain and then 4" of snow. Stayed dry inside the whole time over the course of 4days. First picture is after 4" of rain.
I have not tried the tent yet
I won't lie, I was incredibly nervous ordering after I read some of the reviews for the company. But, my experience with Mad City Outdoor was excellent! My item shipped within the window they gave me before checking out. The product arrived quickly and is perfect! I'm so happy with my snugpack ionosphere and can't wait to try it out in the field this month!
I wouldn't exactly call it a tent, and I wouldn't exactly call it a bivy either. It's easy and quick to set up, seems very durable, and is small enough to be very stealthy, while also being large enough not to feel cramped.
This tent is pretty lightweight and packs down small, making it easy to take along on pretty much any trip. Setup is easy, and you have done options. The tent comes with 16 stakes, which is quite a few. If there are really strong winds and rain outside, you can use all of them to really cinch it down, but you only need as few as four stakes to set it up.
You can set it up with just the mesh part, and put the rain fly on afterwards, but unfortunately you cannot easily do a "dry pitch," where you set up the fly first so the inside stays dry. It is possible to throw the fly over the inner as you set it up to achieve a similar thing, but it takes some practice.
The interior, while very small for a tent, is set up to feel very spacious regardless. I'm 6' 3", and I have plenty of room at the head and feet when I lay in it. I also have enough room on the sides to store my pack and shoes, while still having enough room for my extra wide pad.
The ceiling is short, for sure, but it's just tall enough for me to sit up in it (hunched over with my head touching the mesh,) so it's pretty easy to get in and out, if you're a bit flexible. The fabric and construction of the tent also feels extremely solid and durable, and I have no concerns about it getting damaged out in the wild, unlike other ultralight tents.
One issue I have with the design though is that, with the way the door opens, it's not possible, or at least not easy, to get in or out of the tent while it's raining without some water getting inside, so keep this in mind if you will be camping in inclement weather. However, despite this, it is possible to lift up the door a bit and look outside without getting wet, so that's a plus.
Overall, this is an amazing tent for what it is, although it is very small, so you won't have much living space, though it certainly is not cramped. If you're into the idea of stealth camping, or just being stealthy at all, this tent would do it very well.
Nice compact tent, easy to carry on motorcycle